[PLUG] Deciphering ethereal capture

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 26 21:37:05 UTC 2002

On 26 Jun 2002, Russell Senior wrote:

> The trace I am looking at shows ncftp requesting something called
> extended passive mode, not "regular" passive mode.  EPSV is described
> in rfc2428, and wants to set up a data pipe like a regular non-passive
> mode FTP except the listening port is opened on the server side rather
> than the client side in a regular non-passive mode FTP.  The client
> gets the "229 Entering Extended Passive Mode" and gets a port number
> to connect to, tries to connect sends a SYN to port 50447 but never
> hears back.  So, either the server is broken for extended passive mode
> or there is something on Rich's firewall preventing the connection.
>
> Rich, try a _real_ passive mode, not this _extended_ passive mode.

Russell,

  That's how ncftp is set. From ~/.ncftp/prefs_v3:

# NcFTP 3 preferences file
# This file is loaded and overwritten each time NcFTP is run.
#
connect-timeout=20
control-timeout=135
logsize=10240
one-time-messages-seen=
pager=/usr/bin/less
passive=on			# This has been set this way for a looong time.
progress-meter=2 (statbar)

  Apparently ncftp is requesting the extended passive mode all by itself.

Thanks,