[PLUG] Need mentoring

Michael Harris docmikeor at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 27 19:28:02 UTC 2002

Hello PLUG members.

My name is Mike Harris, and I am a newbie to Linux.  I am desperate to get
away from MS as soon as I can.  Linux is so different and new, I would like
to ask if anyone would care to mentor me a bit.  I would prefer a quick
method of communication, like phone, chat, in person, whatever.  I have been
playing around with Mandrake, and I do like it.  I currently have a few
computers in my home, recently got satellite high speed internet, and still
have dial up just in case.  My sat is two way.  I would like to set up my
Linux box to use the satellite and then act as the server for my other
machines.  I have the Linux box working with KDE and Gnome, know a little
about getting around in the console or shell.  I can not tell if my network
card is installed or not.  See, really am a newbie.  I bought a Linksys
network card which actually has the Tulipc file on the floppy, but that is
as far as I have gotten.  Don't know what to do next.

I should also say I am a dentist at the federal prison in Sheridan, but
PCing  is my joy.  I am currently taking the Linux System Admin class at
PCC, distant learning, to help me figure all of this out.

Anyone interested?  I would pay for the phone calls or any other agreed upon
expenses.

Do I sound desperate enough,

Mike