PGI (Re: [PLUG] Debian Problems, Not)

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Fri Jun 28 23:20:08 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 14:43, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

[snip]
> So last night I pulled out the CPUs and cleaned the thing out with some
> canned air and reseated everything (and drained the power supply and all
> that) in a half-assed attempt to restore things to their factory state.  I
> got everything reseated and hit the power switch.  Power came up, but no
> post... no video.  I wait.
>
> Power down, check the connections, see that the CPUs are mounted and
> nothing is amiss.  Power on again.  Nothing.  Funny
> smell.  SMOKE!  SPARKS!  OH SHIT!  PULL THE CORD!!!

This almost sounds like a recurring problem at my old job, where a tech
that no longer worked there had assemble a BUNCH of machines with an
extra stand off mounted to the backplane of the case, but the
motherboard had no corresponding screw hole.  If it didn't short
immediately, it would run until something minor, like plugging something
into the motherboard, would start to cause very strange problems.  I saw
lots of these machines come back, some of them had fire damage, all had
hosed motherboards.  Smoke and sparks means something shorted, make sure
it is not part of the mounting system before you put in a new
motherboard.

> Weeping.  Sorrow.

I feel for you.

Derek Loree