[PLUG] What's the deal with the unsigned site?

Keith n6jpa at attbi.com
Sun Jun 30 04:11:27 UTC 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Mike De La Mater wrote:

> error about a bad certificate. It doesn't matter which browser I use.
>
> Why does it do that, and is there a way to make it easier to trust the link for the
> uninitiate? None of the other links require you to accept the certificate.

 The way it works if you want the big guys to sign your certificate for "web
security" they want you to pay a few thousand dollars. If you have your own
certificate then you can sign that certificate. The traffic is still
encrypted and is just as safe as if the big guys signed the certificate.
 Of course, most web security is a joke since many of these web sites
let that secure data they receive sit on their HD unencrypted and that
is why you always hear about stolen credit cards from web sites in the news.

 I don't think you have to worry about people stealing your email address
from the plug mail list since we already have it when you sent this email.

;)
YMMV

--
Best Regards,  Keith