[PLUG] ftp server recommendations?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Mon Mar 18 20:37:32 UTC 2002

On 18 Mar 2002, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>  Isn't "sftp" part of OpenSSH, and therefore the authentication is
>  done via PAM? If that's the case, it seems to me that you could
>  probably configure it via PAM to allow sFTP to users without system
>  accounts. I've never done anything like that before, but IIRC it is
>  possible to use something besides the "/etc/passwd" database with
>  certain PAM modules.

Interesting. Yeah, sftp is available with openssh, and you can compile
it against the pam libs (which I suspect most distros do as a matter of
course). Pam is one of those "I've been meaning to look into it for a
really long time now" things -- but your suggestions sounds interesting.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>