[PLUG] Fast Debian mirrors (and Woody ISOs?)

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Mon Mar 18 22:57:14 UTC 2002

Here is how I installed up to testing.

Using debian(stable)-reiserfs boot disks, I installed the base system
over the Internet.  When asked wether I wanted simple or advanced method
of installing packages (one of the last questions), I choose advanced
and it took me into dselect.

I then quit, edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change all the "stable"
entries to "testing", and go back into dselect, select some software,
have it check dependencies and it upgrades the system to testing (a lot
of packages are already preselected from the pending stable-install, now
changed to testing versions).

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 10:01:58AM -0800, Shahms E. King wrote:
> I'm trying to take a look at Debian (currently a RedHat user) and since
> the thing keeping me from trying it the longest is the simple fact that
> the actual "release" version, while stable, is hopelessly out of date.
> And rather than spend hours downloading Potato only to spend MORE hours
> downloading all of the updates from an "apt-get dist-upgrade" (or
> whatever the command actually is) I tried to find ISOs of the latest
> testing or unstable branch to no avail (well, all the places I could
> find were dog slow, to the point of my not wanting to wait DAYS to
> download this thing) so I figured that since we have some rather
> vociferous Debian activists on the list, one of them might have a
> solution to this ... problem.
>
> --Shahms

I'm just a packet pusher.