[PLUG] debootstrap RPM -- Install Debian on RPM based system.

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at microsharp.com
Mon Mar 18 21:18:50 UTC 2002

 <URL:http://drizzle.pdxlinux.org/~karlheg/> ... contains an RPM of
 "debootstrap" that I just created using "alien --to-rpm" on the .deb
 package of it.

 You can look around inside it with "mc" if you want to ensure that it
 will not do anything horrible to your system.

 Since "debootstrap" requires only libc6 and wget, it should run just
 fine on any modern Linux machine.  RTFM, of course...

 It will create a subdirectory with the minimal base Debian installed
 inside of it.  You must be root to do this, unless it works inside of
 a "fakeroot" environment... I've never tried that.  Also, as root,
 you can "chroot" into there and run "apt-get" and whatever you like
 inside the chroot.  As long as you are "chroot" there, it cannot
 affect the rest of your system.

 Perhaps someone clever can think of a way of using this to migrate a
 system to Debian?

 If you do it, and want to test this, I recommend grabbing the "evms"
 stuff, and building a kernel (use the "kernel-package" system) that
 supports the Enterprise Volume Management System from IBM.  It seems
 to be working very well on "drizzle.pdxlinux.org".  Make sure you do
 NOT select the "maximize" option in "cfdisk" when you partition your
 drive, though, or EVMS won't work.

mailto: (Karl M. Hegbloom) karlheg at microsharp.com
Free the Software  http://www.debian.org/social_contract
http://www.microsharp.com