[PLUG] NIC Card installation under Redhat 7.1

Nathan Meyers nmeyers at javalinux.net
Tue Mar 19 05:35:12 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:18:19PM -0800, Philip Wren wrote:
> Good Morning, all
>
>             I am a newbie to Linux and I am currently working on a box
> that I would like to have two Nic cards in it. the system is:
>
> Model  : Deskpro 4000
> CPU    : Intel 166
> Hard    : 2 gigs
> cdrom : yes
> Floppy : yes
>
> O/S     : Redhat 7.1
>
> I used the drivers located on the 3com site first and then a generic
> driver I located that said it supported the Nic card I was using.

It's very unlikely you need additional drivers. The Linux kernel includes
many drivers, including 3c905b, and the RedHat distro tends to ship
every available driver as a module.

So I'd recommend forgetting additional drivers - just turn on the
network cards with what comes with RH. Loading the driver "3c90x" should
do the trick.

I don't know if this is enough information for you... it sounds like you
know how to load drivers and associate them with network devices. If
not, ask away and I'm sure more detail will be forthcoming.

Nathan