[PLUG] Linux 7.2 Printer Problem

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Mar 19 08:06:42 UTC 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Robert wrote:
> I just installed Linux 7.2 for the first time and am having a problem.

I'll have you know that Linux v7.2 is, at the current rate of development,
about 25 years away.  My guess is you installed Linux v2.4.x.

I would guess further that you installed v7.2 of the Red Hat operating
system (which uses a Linux kernel and most of the GNU system), but that
could certainly be incorrect.

> I finally got it to access my home network and my HP laser printer
> with a jetdirect card, but then it lost internet access, although it
> would still sign-on to AT&T just fine, it just wouldn't access the
> WWW.  When I selected "Use Hardware Address" in "Network
> Configuration" it started to access the WWW with AT&T again, but now I
> lost the HP LAN printer as well as a local NEC printer.

What's this "Network Configuration"?  What utility contains such a
configuration panel?

> Changing the settings back makes no difference, I still can't access
> the printers. I can access the LAN fine and even visit the HP
> JetDirect built-in homepage.
>
> I am getting a " localhost.localdomain bad "  message on bootup ( I
> don't know if it was there all along or just started) and it seems to
> be directly connected to the printing problem.  I tried changing the
> settings around, from leaving them blank to changing the names and
> settings, but nothing works.
>
> Anyone know the answer to this one?

Off the top of my head, I think you have route problems.

FIRST, check to see that you have a line in your /etc/hosts file like
this:
127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost.localdomain

I assume you know something about the network configuration of your local
LAN.  Check the local machines routing table with `route -n` and see if
you have a network route to both the local network and the greater
internet.

Beyond that, could be several different things.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net