[PLUG] RedHat 7.1 network card

Nathan Meyers nmeyers at javalinux.net
Wed Mar 20 03:10:08 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 06:34:53PM -0800, Philip Wren wrote:
> Hello again,
>
>             I posted earlier about adding a second network card to my
> Compaq 4000. I was reading at RedHat.com and saw that the auto detect
> only looks at the first nic card that it finds. I have found that the
> drivers are present and I have added it to the modules.conf file but I
> must be missing something about the card installation to get it to work.
> Does anyone have places I should look for all the steps for installing a
> second nic card? I have been trying to read the RedHat site
> documentation but have gotten very little from it so far. Thanks in
> advance for any help you have. :-)

You said they're both 3c905's? Once the driver is loaded, both cards
should be visible. Try this:

    /sbin/ifconfig eth0

    /sbin/ifconfig eth1

I think you'll see results from both commands. The second card is just
waiting for you to set it up.

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, you'll find an ifcfg-eth0 but, I
assume, not an ifcfg-eth1. If that's the case do this:

1) Copy ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-eth1

2) Edit ifcfg-eth1, changing "eth0" to "eth1" and whatever other
settings (such as address) need to change for that card.

3) Bring up the second card with the command:

    /sbin/ifup eth1

This will also happen automatically when next you boot.

Nathan