[PLUG] ALSA (Re: kernel 2.4.5 and es1371)

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at microsharp.com
Wed Mar 20 18:20:01 UTC 2002

    Russ> I purchased a es1371 to work with my linux computer [...]

 I've got Soundblaster PCI-128 cards in both of my machines, and they
 have the Ensonic 1371 chipset.  I use the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound
 Architecture) drivers, and that works very well.  Perhaps you can
 either download and install a binary set that matches your running
 kernel, or build a set of your own?  They are available from the ALSA
 website and from their CVS, or ...

 On a recent Debian GNU/Linux system, you can use "apt-get" to grab
 the latest kernel source, any kernel-patch packages you would like to
 apply, the "kernel-package" build system, "fakeroot", and the
 "alsa-source" package.

 When you install the "alsa-source" package, "debconf" should ask
 several questions about how to configure the source.  It will ask
 which drivers to build, whether you want plug-n-play, and if you want
 debugging turned on or not.  You can at any time, as root, run
 "dpkg-reconfigure -plow alsa-source" to reconfigure it.

 Become root, run "adduser <yourname> src", then "cd /usr/src" and
 "chown root:src -R modules && chmod g+ws -R modules".  ("/usr/src"
 itself should already be set that way... perhaps it's a bug that
 "/usr/src/modules" is not owned by root:src?)

 You then log in fresh, as yourself, NOT AS ROOT, "cd /usr/src", then
 unpack both the kernel-source tarball and the "alsa-source" tarball,
 while standing in "/usr/src".  The kernel-source will create a
 directory named "kernel-source-${KVER}" and the alsa-source will
 unpack in a version name suffixed subdirectory of "./modules".

 "cd kernel-source-${KVER}", and then "cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) \
 .config", then apply any patches you want, either by hand, or by
 running the script in "../kernel-patches/(all|${ARCH})/apply/\
 ${patchname}".  After that, run "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig",
 and check the kernel configuration.

 Now you can run:  (Optional args in customary square brackets)

 % fakeroot make-kpkg [--revision 1] --append-to-version '-<anystring>' \
   [--initrd] clean

 It will probably prompt you with a message at this point... You
 should read it to know why it stopped, then continue.  Always clean
 after reconfiguration for best results.

 Then run:

 % fakeroot make-kpkg [--revision 1] --append-to-version '-<anystring>' \
   [--initrd] kernel_image

 It will probably prompt again, and you should continue again.  Then,
 finally, run:

 % fakeroot make-kpkg [--revision 1] --append-to-version '-<anystring>' \
   [--initrd] modules_image

 That will build you a .deb of your custom kernel, and another
 containing the matching "alsa-driver" modules.  Become root and
 install them both, make certain that the "lilo" or "grub"
 configuration is correct, then reboot.  I believe there is also
 "debconf" configuration of the binary driver package as well, and an
 init.d script that should load them for you.  Make sure it's loading
 the "oss" compatibility modules also.

 If you run "devfs", you may have sound-device permission problems at
 first.  I recommend turning on the state saving feature, and creating
 the "/dev-state" directory, then once and for all you can:

 # chown root:audio /dev/{sound,snd}/* && chmod g+w /dev/{sound,snd}/*

 Make sure you're in the "audio" group, and it should work fine after
 that.

mailto: (Karl M. Hegbloom) karlheg at microsharp.com
Free the Software  http://www.debian.org/social_contract
http://www.microsharp.com