update-grub(8) (Re: [PLUG] New kernel in Debian)

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at microsharp.com
Wed Mar 20 18:30:36 UTC 2002

    Michael> A Debian question if you all have a moment I'm upgrading
    Michael> a stock Progeny install on a PentiumII.

    Michael> I just ran apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.16-686.

    Michael> During the install I was told to include a reference to
    Michael> initrd in lilo.conf.

 Yes, it's reminding you.  "man kernel-img.conf", and also grep the
 "initrd" stuff from the Lilo manual, IF YOU USE LILO.  You could
 point lilo at the symlink, and turn on the "Do_Symlink" option, or...

    Michael> Since I'm running GRUB, this is what I added to menu.lst:

    Michael> title Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.16)
    Michael> root (hd0,1)
    Michael> kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.4.26-686 root=/dev/hda2 ro
    Michael> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.16-686

    Michael> I just copied the entries that existed and substituted
    Michael> the names of the files that I found in /boot after
    Michael> apt-get was finished.

 Sounds reasonable...

    Michael> Did I do this right?

 Looks correct to me, but read "man update-grub", and recall from "man
 kernel-img.conf" the hook calls...  You can have the kernel
 install/upgrade run "update-grub" for you if you like.  IIRC, you
 turn off "Do_Bootloader" (iirc... rtfm), and set a hook so it runs
 "update-grub" during the kernel-image postinst.  IIRC, you should
 make a backup of your "/boot/grub/menu.lst" just in case, then run
 "update-grub" and let it replace the old one, then edit as needed,
 and run it again.

 I have not messed with it since I installed and configured it,
 several kernels ago.

    Michael> At the end of the install there was a reference to
    Michael> "initrd.img not symlink..not clobbered" What does that
    Michael> mean?

 There is an actual file at "/boot/initrd.img" or at "/initrd.img" and
 it was smart enough to both not clobber it and to tell you about that
 fact.  Normally the generic name "initrd.img" is a symlink pointing
 to the number one kernel's real "/boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r)".

 I don't know about you, but I always configure that system so that
 all of the files it keeps are under "/boot", and I remove the ones
 from "/" because I don't think they belong there anymore.  It will
 work either way, depending on both how you build the kernel and how
 you set up "/etc/kernel-img.conf".

mailto: (Karl M. Hegbloom) karlheg at microsharp.com
Free the Software  http://www.debian.org/social_contract
http://www.microsharp.com