[PLUG] Open source and professional employees

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Mar 20 22:12:04 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Jahn <ejahn at worksystems.org> writes:

Eric> very interesting topic. so the lesson I gleaned was (as what New
Eric> York would call a "professional employee") make sure your job
Eric> description is as narrow as possible and does not overlap with
Eric> your open source software development, moonlighting, or hobbies.
Eric> I wonder what happens if you don't have a job description?

IANAL, but...

I think the real lesson here is to be upfront with the employer and
tell them what you want to do and ensure them that you aren't
publishing company secrets and get _that_ in writing.  If _they_ don't
agree to that, then you have a clear choice about whether you want to
accept their employment offer.

BTW, this is another, probably the more significant reason that FSF
wants copyright assignments for contributed work.  It's to get
employers to sign off of the transfer before it become something that
others build on.  It clears up what could become a real legal tangle.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible