[PLUG] Swapless swapfile? (Workstation with 1gb RAM)

Sean Whitney sean_whitney at bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 16 18:38:11 UTC 2002

I just built a dual-amd MP 1.6GHz machine with 1GB DDR ram, I gave it 256mb
swab, that I don't think I've ever seen it used.

I know the rule of thumb used to 2xmemory for swap, but I couldn't see giving
it a 2GB swap partition.  Is there a new rule of thumb that I missed?

Sean

On Saturday 16 March 2002 10:08, you hammered at the keyboard:
> I'm planning to make my 1333 Tbird / 1gb RAM box a dual boot with either
> RedHat or Debian.
>
> I disabled swap in Win since upgrading from 256mb to 1024mb RAM, and it
> runs like a top - only had one instance where XP wanted to create a swap to
> handle a demand for more virtual memory.
>
> I would imagine either distro would run even better with than much RAM.
> SHould I create a tiny swap partition? (2-16mb)? Any suggestions?
>
> Greg

An honest tale speeds best being plainly told.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"