[PLUG] Swapless swapfile? (Workstation with 1gb RAM)

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Thu Mar 21 17:57:13 UTC 2002

> They used to say double your ram for windows swap..
> Some versions of Win can only use 512 megs or was it 256?
> 512 I think, for W98
> The pisser with W2K is I have 512 megs of DDR here, and a
> reg hack to minimize swap usage; and yet I still boot up
> with 46 megs of paged *KERNEL*!
>
> Whilst I have 255 megs of free ram

This brings us to a good point to ask my question:

How can I configure my Cyrix MII-300 box, 32MB of RAM, so it ain't dog slow
swapping everything to disk when I fire up X?

I have turned off just about every service and at that point, I'm right on
the edge *before* I fire up X. It works great that way. I don't mind running
the console, but the folks who are going to use it will be basically using a
spreadsheet and doing some word processing. I even went so far as to remove
the audio card to get back about 64k from the sound modules.

Would it help to recompile the kernel? I am *really* green when it comes to
rebuilding the kernel -- I've done it but it's like I wind up tripping over
the toys and clothes thrown on the floor in the middle of the night. And
with it being modular, would I get any payback, anyway?

WEL