[PLUG] Swapless swapfile? (Workstation with 1gb RAM)

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Thu Mar 21 18:49:08 UTC 2002

> > Would it help to recompile the kernel? I am *really* green
> when it comes to
> > rebuilding the kernel -- I've done it but it's like I wind
> up tripping over
> > the toys and clothes thrown on the floor in the middle of
> the night. And
> > with it being modular, would I get any payback, anyway?
> >

> Doubtful on the kernel payback,  but what X wm do you use?
> KDE is about the fattest I think-
>

> There are some designed to be slim as possible... Xfce or
> Fvwm I forget exactly,  someone will comment further with
> precise details in 5 mins.. after all this is the PLUG list!

I wanted to go with KDE because it's pretty easy. This is a machine for some
technophobes. Myself, I like BlackBox -- it's fast. I never looked at the
memory footprint because my box has half a gig o' RAM. N'importe. But on the
Cyrix, dat's anudda can a woims. Would IceWM be a better choice for the non
techno-elite such as ourselves (hack, cough, cough)?

WEL