[PLUG] First Router

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Thu Mar 21 22:52:54 UTC 2002

Hi Rick,

Rick Konold wrote:

> Thanks JH, I will go ahead with the project as planned then.  It can't hurt
> to learn both, since IPCHAINS still seems to be used.  I will just start with
> the IPCHAINS, and do IPTABLES later.
>
> The nice thing about having a non critical home network is no one cares if it
> is broken (except me) as long as I can still use the workstation and get the
> mail.  On the other hand, not having to fix it NOW, leads to a lot of
> procrastination. :-)

There is a small drawback to setting up an internal firewall on private ip
addresses:  All good firewalls and routers will _not_ route private ip's.  This
has two implications, 1) if you use prepared firewall rules (like from the LRP)
you have to break the private ip filters, or 2) if you build ipchain rules from
scratch, you'll need to remember to add filters for the private ip's when you
turn the thing loose on the net.

I'm not sure that was worth even $0.02 :-)

Derek Loree