inet numbers and ifconfig was Re: [PLUG] Re: Linux 7.2 Printer Problem Solved

mikeraz at patch.com mikeraz at patch.com
Fri Mar 22 13:47:57 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 10:48:46PM -0800, Wil Cooley typed:
> Also Sprach Michael Rasmussen <rasmussenm at columbiafunds.com> on Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 08:11:47AM PST

> Hm, interesting.  I suspect it's an error in the IP address parser in
> ifconfig; 'ip addr add 192.168.200.081 dev eth0' works just fine.  In
> fact, as I suspected, 'ip addr add 192.168.200.00000000000000000081
> dev eth0' works fine also.  (Except I just caused Zebra to go nuts
> with my OSPF routing tables.)

I did download the source for net-tools and started to wade through it to find out
where the address is parsed.  Not there yet.

But, if this is a bug, rather than a feature of allowing people to express addresses
in decimal, octal, and hex, it is shared by:

/bin/dnsdomainname
/bin/domainname
/bin/hostname
/bin/netstat