[PLUG] chroot'd ftp-only account

Terry Griffin griffint at aracnet.com
Fri Mar 22 23:55:33 UTC 2002

Kyle Accardi:

> Terry Griffin wrote:
>

> > Yeah, but alternatives are hard to come by. But what the heck, I'll ask
> > the general question anyway.
> >
> > So I've got an in-house staffer that needs to share some file space with
> > an out-of-town client. Both need read-write access to this space. The
> > client's view of the hosting machine must be limited to this space. The
> > client may or may not be able to use a Unix/Linux box on their end.
> > (We're checking on that.) For now we're assuming the client's end is a
> > Windows box. What are my options for creating this shared file space?
> >
> > I tried to create scp-only account but this appears to be impossible. Any
> > other ideas?
>

> Why not a hidden ftp chrooted dir?

Because the prior poster in this thread dissed FTP, so I thought I'd
inquire about other options. No other reason.

> Is CVS out of the question?  There are Windows clients.  How about creating
> a shell account for the out-of-towner and put them both in the same group?
>   If you wanted to really limit the account you could make a chroot
> jailThen everyone could use ssh.

I thought of CVS but the files will all be binaries. It would work (and I
even know how to do it already) but it seems kind of silly for a project
that isn't mostly text and where no revision control is desired.

I was hoping to avoid a shell account but it may come down to that.
Maybe I'll have more luck creating a chroot shell account than I did
with a creating a chroot ftp account.

Terry
--
Terry Griffin <griffint at pobox.com>