[PLUG] annoying samba messages

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Sat Mar 23 00:05:50 UTC 2002

briand at aracnet.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Mar 22 14:41:45 soggy nmbd[315]:   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
> Mar 22 14:41:45 soggy nmbd[315]:   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name
>  DELDOTD<1b> for the workgroup DELDOTD.
> Mar 22 14:41:45 soggy nmbd[315]:   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup
>
> The machine giving me these error messages IS the domain master and I
> thought I had the smb.conf set appropriately - apparently not.

If your on a network with a win2k server, you've got a lot of work to do (I won't
bore the list with reg hacking; email me if you can't find it in M$ knowledge
base).  If not, then you might just need to set the OS level in the smb.conf to a
number higher than your NT4 server (try 64 or 128).  FYI, I had a smooth running smb
setup mixed with a win2k domain that (out of the blue) stopped allowing browsing
after about 3 months (I could "search" for them, but couldn't browse to them --
stupid OS), I had to call M$ support on that one.

> What I find interesting is that it's DELDOTD<1b>
>
> isn't 1b the escape character ?  What's it doing in the log file ?

The relavance of this is dependant on where it is trying to get its name, the
elected-behind-your-back WINS server may be dishing it out.

Did I mention that I LOVE Linux? (Elections are held out in the open, and at the
least end up in your syslog.)

Derek Loree