[PLUG] downloading a website (that has java scripts, &c.)

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sat Mar 23 01:22:46 UTC 2002

As I've revealed many times in the past, I'm pretty much of an
ignoramous when it comes to lots of areas that most on PLUG know
a great deal about.  Here's yet one more.

My (12 year old) daughter is giving a talk on lasers on Monday
(something I  _do_ know something about (finally!!)).

She has cobbled together a nice talk, based on what I've taught her
but it lacks one thing: some nice "demos" of the various ideas.  She's
used xfig to draw some pictures of "population inversion", "light
pumping" &c., but I'd like to go further.

She's giving it on my laptop using powerpoint (but running under
win4lin on linux :-).

So what's this got to do with downloading the contents of a website,
you ask?  Well, there's a wonderful educational physics site

www.colorado.edu/physics/2000

which has a subsection on lasers.  There are some  gorgeous Java applets
that would make perfect little on-screen demos.

So I tried downloading the whole site with

`wget -r -l 8 -k -nh -p http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000'

and got a bunch of stuff (about 9.5 Megs worth).

All the web pages, the .jpg images, &c. appear to be there.

But the "applets" directory is nearly empty.  Furthermore the site
uses (according to a colleague) "dynamic web pages".  So, e.g. index.html
is (evidently) generated by something called index.pl (a Perl script?).
When I click on my local copy of index.html (which references index.pl)
Netscapce asks me if I want to download it.  Not the behaviour I was expecting.

Anyway, all this is way out of my areas of expertise (and comfort zone).
Can you sing: "Donno much about java_scripts, donno much about ...)

You get the idea.

Can anyone help me?  She needs only three or four of the applets but I
thought it would be oh, so much easier to simply download the whole
she-bang and then just have the desired applets running in Netscrape
and switch to them as needed (win4lin/windows on one x-server on
VT <ctl-F8>,  KDE/netscrape on another server on VT <ctl-F7>.

I do it all the time.

Thanks
Dean