[PLUG] annoying samba messages

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Sat Mar 23 01:47:21 UTC 2002

briand at aracnet.com wrote:

>   Derek> If your on a network with a win2k server, you've got a lot of
>   Derek> work to do (I won't bore the list with reg hacking; email me
>   Derek> if you can't find it in M$ knowledge base).  If not, then you
>   Derek> might just need to set the OS level in the smb.conf to a
>   Derek> number higher than your NT4 server (try 64 or 128).  FYI, I
>   Derek> had a smooth running smb setup mixed with a win2k domain that
>   Derek> (out of the blue) stopped allowing browsing after about 3
>   Derek> months (I could "search" for them, but couldn't browse to
>   Derek> them -- stupid OS), I had to call M$ support on that one.
>
> An M$ told you what ?

Unplug all linux boxes, disable the "browsing service" on all windoze
boxes except for the one you want to be the WINS server, and create a good
mantra.  I don't remember the reg key off the top of my head, if you can't
find it, I can come up with it on Monday.

> I have win2k on my network, but I'm not trying to use it as a server.
> Do I still have to hack it ?

There is a difference between the OS level of workstation (PRO) and
server.  Just having the server on the network (doesn't matter if it is
doing server stuff or not) is enough.  WINS was designed to run the
network on its own. (Who is your network administrator now?)

> Here's the relevant sections from my smb.conf (which I should have
> posted in the original message).
>
>    os level = 65
>    domain master = yes
>    local master = yes
>    preferred master = yes
>
> So it should be the master, eh comrade ?

If the win2k is server, no, it rigs the election with an OS level of 128
(though as I found out, it can rig the election in other ways too, but it
takes time).  I can't find my SAMBA book right now, but IIRC there should
only be one type of master, local should be good enough if you only have
one workgroup.

Good Luck, you'll need it.

Derek Loree