[PLUG] Red Hat 7.2 Update Procedure Questions

Mike Witt mike at computer-arts.net
Sat Mar 23 04:47:10 UTC 2002

Robert wrote:

> Thanks Dan.
>
> I typed the command " /sbin/service rhnsd status " and it worked.  It says
> rhnsd  (pid2648) is running.
>
> I did it my user account rather than root, as I don't want to log out while
> waiting for this download.
>
> Is there anyway to get around the 2 hour wait?

Other than running up2date (and I have one system that that simply
doen't work on) you can run rhn_check directly. As far as I can
tell rhnsd just wakes up every two hours (unless you configure it
for one) and runs rhn_check. rhnsd and rhn_check both have man
pages BTW.

I have had success, on my system that can't use up2date, scheduling
a bunch of updates and then running rhn_check by hand.

-Mike