[PLUG] Red Hat 7.2 Update Procedure Questions

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Sat Mar 23 05:54:12 UTC 2002

Robert wrote:

> I appriciate the help, but this is still waaaay too advanced for my Linux
> skills.  There were over 100 updates listed and I'm afraid I'd either lose
> my sanity or go back to Windows 3.0 before updating this many strange
> looking (at least to me) files manually.
>
> Robert

If you are running a workstation that intermittently connects to the
internet, there are very few that are crucial.

I understand the desire to keep everything updated, even things I'm not
currently using.

IMO, these should be updated (the rest can wait)

e2fsprogs
	if you're using any ext3 filesystems
iptables
	if you're providing firewalling on this machine

util-linux		core functionality

That will probably be enough.  Don't sweat it.  Like I said, any distro of
the same age is going to have a similiar number of updates.

--
Kyle Accardi