[PLUG] downloading a website (that has java scripts, &c.)

Pelster, John John.Pelster at usi.net
Sat Mar 23 06:56:22 UTC 2002

The first thing that makes this a tricky proposition are the frames...  When
you go to http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000 right click in Netscape on
the main frame and chose "Open frame in a new window."  First problem
solved.

Now go to your applets...  I think the URLs you are looking for are:

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/lasers/index.html
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/lasers/lasers2.html
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/lasers/lasers3.html
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/lasers/lasers4.html

Go ahead and use wget (or I like curl) to get these...  Now, you say your
having problems with the applets...  I'll walk you through the first one:

View the source of the first page...  You'll see, in APPLET tags:

CODE="laser.LaserApplet" CODEBASE="../applets"

Now, open up http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/applets/laser.LaserApplet,
you won't get anything.  Very frustrating...  But what kind of a name for an
applet is laser.LaserApplet?  It should have an extension of .class.
Furthermore, on the Java platform, a dot shows the package heirarchy, which
is in turn reflected by the file system...  So, open up:

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/applets/laser/LaserApplet.class and
you'll be prompted to download the file...  Download it.

Now, when you're daughter demonstrates this to her class, I recommend
setting up Apache on the laptop to serve the HTML and Applets...  If I
remember correctly, this makes things a lot easier.

Good luck!

-- John Pelster