[PLUG] Will Debian Install on a Dell 4100? - Red Hat is being too irritating

Lynn Yuan lynnming at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 23 07:54:15 UTC 2002

Here is what someone else did for their Dell 8100
notebook.  I gather it should be somewaht similar for
the Dell 4100.

You need the updated drivers from Nvidia
(http://www.nvidia.com). Down load the latest drivers,
both the NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm and
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.rh72up.i386.rpm, and then
install them, the kernel one first.

You also need a working XF86Config-4 file. Go to the
bottom of the page at
http://home.olemiss.edu/~tschumpr/i8100.html
and grab the one for your resolution there and then
copy it to the appropriate place.

Also goto the path
http://www.linux-laptop.net/dell.html for more
information on configuring Linux on you Inspiron 8100.
Linux works great on it.