[PLUG] Mozilla 0.9.4 filters

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Sat Mar 23 09:09:18 UTC 2002

> Is there a way to manually apply filters to mail in your inbox?  i can

Currently I use the "Rules" feature in Pine. To play with this, go to the
main menu, select "Setup" and press 'R' for "Rules", then "F" for filter.
Filtering only occurs when you start up pine, however, so this may not be
a good solution if you're also running Mozilla as an email client. A
second problem with pine's filters is that mail will be duplicated if you
have multiple pine processes running.

A much better method is "procmail" which will sort your mail into folders
for later retrieval. Unfortunately, I find the syntax of procmail rules
baffling; it seems unlike any scripting language I know. Perhaps you can
find a good tutorial on procmail, or someone on the list can write up a
sample recipe. (I'd like to learn how to auto-respond to emails
containing .doc attachments with a polite letter. Also how to redirect and
decline email from hotmail and msn accounts. For example, if someone sends
me email from an msn account, a polite letter of rejection "I decline
email from the following domains..." is sent back.)

Any procmail wizards out there? :)

Tyler