[PLUG] Boot Sector Virii and Linux

Richard Seymour paynoattention at anarchysoftware.com
Sat Mar 23 19:55:05 UTC 2002

Some folks using DOS around here caught an old Boot Sector Virus
(detectable in DOS using CHKDSK and knowing the amount of memory that
should be in usage for an infected and non-infected machine). I remember
these from back in the day when I did PC support and virii spread mostly
by way of floppy disk usage.

At FREE GEEK we get a lot of equipment that may not have been touched
since that era.

I was wondering if these virii can infect a Linux based system, and how
I would check for their existence if they can.

I have an allegedly infected floppy disk and plenty of old linux boxen
to play with.

--
Joy! Rapture! I've got a brain!