[PLUG] configuring a server without X

Sean Whitney sean_whitney at bigfoot.com
Sun Mar 24 21:40:31 UTC 2002

I would agree with your friend.

Here is where ssh is very helpful.  You can install the gui application, it
might require the xserver software.  Install what the application wants, but
don't start the xserver.

Use ssh to export the display to a workstation running x and run your gui
there.

Why MS2k requires a gui (and games) installed on a server is beyond me.

Sean

On Sunday 24 March 2002 13:28, you hammered at the keyboard:

--
It's very inconvenient to be mortal -- you never know when everything may
suddenly stop happening.