[PLUG] Fishing for suggestions - Syncing multiple servers?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Sun Mar 24 23:31:00 UTC 2002

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Sean, Sharon and Kyle Harbour wrote:

> Got a couple of scenarios here: Scenario 1: I have x number of
> servers. Some of them are on the local trusted network, some of them
> are not. The flat text configuration files for one of the services are
> kept in a consistant location on the file system, but each server may
> or may not have it's own uniquely named config files mixed in with
> other config files that we would like to keep loosely synced up among
> all the servers.

This is what cfengine is expressly designed to do:

  http://www.iu.hio.no/cfengine/

It lets you define classes of machines (based on all sorts of criteria:
hostname, subnet, OS, etc), and the configuration files are synced
and/or edited in place according to class-based rules.

cfengine builds cleanly on every modern Unix I've ever encountered.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>