[PLUG] configuring a server without X

Nathan Meyers nmeyers at javalinux.net
Mon Mar 25 18:47:33 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:39:53AM -0800, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> >ssh -X drizzle.pdxlinux.org xterm
> >
> >-X will enable X11 forwarding and set the proper display variable.
> >
> >-- John Pelster
>
> I'm sure I'm being dumb here, but does that mean that if I am at my local
> machine and I type in an xterm:
> ssh -X somemachine.somedomain.com netconfig
>
> I will be able to configure networking on the remote maching, not the local?

Correct. You will be running netconfig on that remote machine - meaning
that you'll be configuring networking on that machine - while netconfig's
networked GUI is carried through an SSH tunnel to your local machine.
That's the joy of a networked GUI like X: the application interacts
with the display and input devices through a network connection, not by
directly diddling with hardware.

One funny thing about this specific example: reconfiguring networking
while you're connected to it may lead to surprises - like the GUI and/or
ssh connection disappearing when you make a network configuration change.

Nathan