[PLUG] Mandrake 8.1 installation problem

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 00:22:38 UTC 2002

--- Rick Konold <cccs at teleport.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 24 March 2002 18:45, you hammered the
> keyboard to write:
> > My newly-installed Mandrake system boots Windows.
> It
> > also boots itself from a floppy (which drive isn't
> > usually connected). It doesn't boot from the
> "linux"
> > option on the boot menu:
>
> Which bootloader did you use, Grub or LILO?  Did you
> install it before or
> after Windows? Did you install the bootloader in the
> MBR?
Good question. In the MBR. "LILO with graphical
interface." (This was the starred option, so I didn't
quarrel with them.) After Windows.

Mandrake support told me to get a boot prompt and type

linux root=/dev/hda3

This is ignored, for some reason (by Linux, not by
me).

BTW, I'm going to try to install a floppy drive
tomorrow. I have a Pavilion 7950 with one of those
awful floppy drives that is open in front, and it
doesn't seem to be grabbing the disks. I'm going to
bolt another floppy drive to the outside of the case,
with a slot in the case for the cables to pass through
to the drive. Then I can boot Linux from a floppy, if
necessary, but it should be possible to boot from the
HDD.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."