[PLUG] Help: 2. WordPerfect

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Mar 26 07:11:30 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > She ordered this WordPerfect 8 disk from LinuxCentral and it's arrived
> > and I tried installing it. The thing seems to have been built for
> > Linux 2..1x, libc5 and X11R5. Needless to say, it segfaults when I
> > start it (after modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH so it finds the X libs).
> >
> > Does anyone know how to get this working on a modern system?
>
> I've got WP 8 running on a Red Hat 7.1 box. I installed an old
> libc-5.blah rpm that put all sorts of old libraries -- libc, X stuff,
> curses and termcap, etc -- into an out-of-the-way directory that gets
> added to /etc/ld.so.conf.

Actually, I've installed libc5 (Debian has packages for oldlibs, too), but
all I did for the X11 stuff was set LD_LIBRARY_PATH (for some reason it
can't find libXt.so without it).  `ldd /opt/WordPerfect/wpbin/wp8` (I
think that's the name of the binary, I don't have that console open at the
moment) yields no errors.

However, running the binary gives me an immediate segmentation fault.

Could that be because the thing was compiled for a wholly different
kernel?

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin