[PLUG] Going online via cell phone?

Patrick Leckey Patrick.Leckey at xist.com
Thu Mar 28 06:57:52 UTC 2002

Current cell phones that provide reliable cellular modem service:

TDMA
----

 - Nokia 5160i
 - Nokia 6160i
 - Nokia 6360
 - Nokia 3360 (via IrDA only)
 - Motorola StarTAC 7797

GSM
---

 - Motorola P280G
 - Ericsson T28
 - Ericsson T39
 - Motorola V60

I would stay away from any CDMA phones that provile modem service.  Hell, I'd stay away from CDMA altogether if possible.  Who
thought up this code divided crap anyways?

Remember, I said "reliable service".  Other phones will work as cellular modems, but I'd stick to those listen above.  I work
for Canada's largest wireless provider, and have had a chance to test every model that has passed through our country.

Pat.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 08:25:25PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Eric House wrote:
>
> > I'm in the process of signing up for a cell phone -- my first -- and
> > am hoping to be able to use the phone as a modem from my laptop (which
> > runs Debian Woody).
> >
> > Does any of you know anything about this?  In particular, if it makes
> > a difference what phone I choose I'd better find out now. :-)
>
> Eric,
>
>   Go to the local Verizon Wireless store and have them show you which brands
> and models will work. I have a Kyocera QCP-6035 (combined PalmPilot and
> phone); another list member has the Kyocera 3035. Both work. You'll need the
> data cable (horribly expensive), but you can toss the Windoze cd rom that
> comes with it. On the Kyoceras, you have to turn on the phone and put it
> into data/fax mode.
>
>   There are other brands and models (some for as little as $50) that have
> the capability to transmit (and receive!) data.
>
>   I'm running 14.4K and still have a few glitches to work out, but it is
> workable.
>
>   The computer guy at the store is the one who'll work with you.
>
> Rich

Patrick Leckey	    [Patrick.Leckey at xist.com]
XIST Inc.; Information, Services & Technology
http://www.xist.com             (613)234-9621