[PLUG] mail system architecture help

Mike De La Mater mikedela at ipns.com
Thu Mar 28 19:41:18 UTC 2002

This particular situation seems to be that my ISP was providing some sort of
service to a paying user. The service wasn't hosting but it sounds like it
was DNS or they registered the name, or maybe they were just using their
mail server. Anyway the offending user started spamming (UCE) and because
somebody thought the ISP could make them stop, they listed them to keep the
spam of the net. A list is generated when people complain and send in
full-header examples of spam. The listing works because sysadmins use these
lists in their own mail servers to determine if the incoming mail is spam.
SpamCop is such a program and it uses a list that has my ISP.

I'm sure I've oversimplified and I've probably got some details wrong, but
that's how it looks to me.

___________________
Mike De La Mater
mikedela at ipns.com