[PLUG] Fwd: FC: CBDTPA hits House: Democratic legislator readying companion bill

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Mar 28 19:03:12 UTC 2002

Subject: FC: CBDTPA hits House: Democratic legislator readying companion bill
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:29:32 -0500
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
To: politech at politechbot.com

Text of Rep. Adam Schiff's (D-California) "Dear Colleague" letter:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/schiff.dear.colleague.032702.html

Politech archive on CBDTPA:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/

---

   Another Punch for Copy Protection
   By Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)

   12:00 p.m. March 28, 2002 PST
   WASHINGTON -- A political brawl over mandatory copy protection is
   about to spread to the U.S. House of Representatives.

   A Democratic legislator from the home of the Walt Disney and Warner
   Bros. studios is drafting a bill to reduce online piracy by implanting
   strict copy controls in digital devices.

   On Wednesday, Rep. Adam Schiff of Burbank, California, circulated a
   letter on Capitol Hill seeking co-sponsors for his legislation, which
   he said would follow the same approach as the Consumer Broadband and
   Digital Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA) in the Senate.

   "I plan to introduce legislation that would safeguard digital content
   by spurring the rapid development of copyright protection technology,"
   Schiff's "Dear Colleague" letter said. "Similar legislation, S. 2048,
   has been introduced in the Senate. I believe this is a necessary step
   and I encourage you to join me in this effort.

   [...]