[PLUG] CBDTPA/SSSCA Outline

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 28 20:57:21 UTC 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Tyler F. Creelan wrote:

> While these restrictions relate to media devices, the CBDTPA states that
> "All electronic devices that process information" must comply with
> copyright management standards. As many electronic devices "process
> information", it is possible the CBDTPA could apply to a broad range
> of electronic equipment. [2]

  Just think of what this will do to Kinkos, LazerQuick and fax machines.

  Dangerous, dangerous stuff with more "unintended consequences" than value.

  And the point about audio and video use of computers is the most salient:
we don't have sound cards or speakers on our systems because we use them to
crunch numbers, process words and do other business-oriented tasks. We also
have stereo systems and TV/VCR systems available for noise and motion.

Sigh,