[PLUG] Debugging New Apache + PHP Build

Pelster, John John.Pelster at usi.net
Fri Mar 29 19:11:49 UTC 2002

This isn't a Linux problem, but with OS X Server (based on the Rhapsody 5.6
kernel, not Darwin).  Nevertheless, this is a Linux/UNIX group, so here
goes.

Background: I'm setting up an Apache/MySQL/PHP environment.  It is separate
from the main webserver (after development, it could be combined, but not
now) so it has it's own configuration file, pid file, and listens on it's
own port.

I've compiled PHP for OS X server --with-apxs and everything seems to work
fine.  I have httpd.conf (in this case, forum.conf) configured properly.
However, Apache won't start.  testconfig says I have a good configuration
file, and there is no error code.

I tried running the server in single threaded debug mode, using:

/usr/sbin/apache -X -f Configuration/forum.conf

It gives me one word of output and then dies:  Abort.

Any suggestions?  I doubt any one in the group has done this exact thing
before, but perhaps something similar?  Also, I've only used PHP as an
Apache module, but would using CGI be a better way to isolate the problem?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
John Pelster