[PLUG] Debugging New Apache + PHP Build

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Fri Mar 29 19:34:01 UTC 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Pelster, John wrote:

> I tried running the server in single threaded debug mode, using:
>
> /usr/sbin/apache -X -f Configuration/forum.conf
>
> It gives me one word of output and then dies:  Abort.
>
> Any suggestions?

Is 'apache' really the name of the executable? Wierd :-)

Anyway, in your configuration file, set LogLevel to 'debug' and run
httpd (er, apache) again. Then look at your error_log to see if it picks
up on anything.

If that doesn't work, you might try digging around for 'truss' (which is
/usr/bin/truss on FreeBSD systems). Try running apache under it, e.g.,

  truss -o /tmp/apache.debug /usr/sbin/apache ...

The /tmp/apache.debug file will contain a record of the system calls
made by apache and, hopefully, an indication of which one failed.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>