[PLUG] 'D'- Uinteruptable disk wait

Chris Genly chgenly at etherknot.com
Fri Mar 29 23:27:44 UTC 2002

Hi,

I am trying to run Netbeans on Mandrake 8.0.  It always hangs.  It seems
to be triggered by different actions.  But usually when compiling or
running the code being developed.

When I do

   ps aux

I can see many java threads in the 'S' state, and one in the 'D' state.

Netbeans is written in Java.  But I don't think any Linux application
should be able to hang a process in the 'D' state unless something is
wrong with linux (e.g. a driver.)  I have to reboot to rid myself of the
thread in the 'D' state.  kill -9 does not eliminate it.

I've searched the netbeans website, the javasoft website and done a
www.google.com/linux search but to no avail.  I'm sure there is an
answer out there but have not worded the search correctly yet.

- So does anyone know how to get netbeans working?
- Can you confirm that this is not a java problem but an OS problem.
- How do I determine what the task in the 'D' state is actually waiting for?

TIA, Chris