[PLUG] Telco industry version of Linux?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Mar 30 02:23:26 UTC 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Stuart Mathews wrote:
> I read an article in eWEEK about a group who is developing a new
> "version" of Linux specifically for the telco industry.  Any ideas
> what such a version of Linux might entail?  What does a telco need
> from Linux that other industries may not?

Telcos need reliability.  I'm talking SERIOUS reliability.

Telcos are required by FCC regulations to provide service at an
unbelievably high level.

For example, a dial-tone provider is allowed to take that dial-tone
service down for one second every two years.  Telephone number routing is
allowed to fail for two seconds every year.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net