[PLUG] Why Do Fonts Look Bad in Linux?

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Sat Mar 30 04:03:21 UTC 2002

Here's a place to start for truetype. No beating around the bush here; it's
called font de-uglification.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

Also, here is some stuff from a page on doing Turkish(!) language support in
Redhat 7.2. Funny how non-English users have to deal with this stuff more
overtly and end up driving the documentation on the font front.

http://www.arayan.com/da/linux.html

Copy trutype fonts from a windows system (*.ttf) to
/usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType.

cd /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType
ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
mkfontdir

Select these fonts in your favorite web browser and enjoy!

-Dan Young