[PLUG] DNS trouble and something called protocol 17.

Michael Robinson robinsom at opusnet.com
Sat Mar 30 17:55:51 UTC 2002

Okay, where are the paths for named and named-xfer set?
Any advice on buying a book on bind, what's the best source?
I found named and named-xfer under /chroot/bind/usr/sbin where
they belong and I forgot that the master server is down.

I had trouble before the main machine went out.  I did a manual named-xfer
transfer as root on the backup box to establish this backup server because
it wasn't transferring the zones automatically.  I've been compiling bind 8
from www.isc.org source, unlike an rpm where verify is available how can the
integrity of installed libraries and executables from custom compilations be
checked?

-----  Mail problems -----

The next major job for me is going from a local only sendmail central mail
hub for local servers to a mail configuration free of expensive external
mailboxes and arbitrary limits on the number of email accounts.  We
currently have two Opus mailboxes at $4 a piece per month which can only be
accessed via clear text imap or pop.  I'd like to be ISP independent so that
we have the option of changing providers/using multiple providers.

One mail  project currently underway is to subscribe a local PLUG account on
the mailhub to the plug list and give everyone on the local network the
password to that linux account.  The PLUG account would have duplicate
message filtering, mailbox size management, filtering of non-plug messages,
and other good ideas I haven't thought of...  I want antiviral protection at
the MTA level on the gateway.  I am considering installing Postfix at the
gateway, the only box with an external ip at this time, and have the gateway
prepare mail to go into the hub or out to the Internet.

It is supposed to be possible to run a mail server on a private network and
have it receive Internet email.  How though is this server made visible in
such a manner that the mail from and to the Internet is properly screened
and addressed to look like it came from the gateway box?  Do I want this hub
to remain invisible and set up another MTA on the gateway to send  mail to
it.  Would the gateway be a RELAY?

So far I have the PLUG user in a group parlor which has a quota but I am
uncertain how to test that the quota works.  Maybe I should create a
directory with a 1 meg quota and try to copy a 10 meg file into it.  The
following is an excerpt off the mail hub where I am trying to implement
quotas:

[root at goose admin]# repquota -a
                        Block limits               File limits
User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace
root      --       0       0       0              4     0     0
admin     --   59628       0       0             24500000     0
bedroom1  --    8312       0       0             191000000     0
bedroom2  --      20       0       0              5500000     0
bedroom3  --      36       0       0              91000000     0
den       --    3208       0       0             211000000     0
parlor    --      56       0       0             141000000     0
kitchen   --      20       0       0              51000000     0

I could use a variation on the repquota -a command to cause the output
fields to be seperated better.  The soft and used fields usually run
together making it hard to see the numbers.  The PLUG user  is under the
parlor group.

I am following the example for setting up sendmail in Securing and
Optimizing Redhat Linux v1.3 Final by Gerhard Mourani almost verbatim which
is available at www.openna.com.

     --  Michael C. Robinson