[PLUG] security?

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Sat Mar 30 20:02:46 UTC 2002

At 11:18 PM 3/29/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>That's interesting.  What's the NOC and why are they looking at packets?

The NOC is the Network Operations Center. They monitor lots of stuff.

The NOC themselves may not be looking at packets, but when you have 5
different major network providers all peering in one location, it doesn't
take a whole lot of effort to sniff a lot of traffic.

>I'm a little surprised that ftp (non-anonymous) is still being used.

People still use telnet too. Many folks don't get those clues. :)

>So, in general, are you saying that I can probably use sftp to upload to a
>website instead of ftp? I guess the reason that most of the common tools
>are ftp based, gFtp etc, is that what most of us have on our personal
>websites isn't worth protecting(:-).

Only if the other end supports sftp. I suggest trying it, and complain to
the sysadmin if it doesn't work.

As far as what's worth protecting, if you are responsible for the content,
then I'd think it would be worth protecting. :)

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net
telnet://telnet.dimstar.net
ICQ: 3739685

Hydrogen atom:  Someone just stole my electron!!
Policeman:  Are you sure?
Hydrogen atom:  Yes, I'm positive