[PLUG] Apple Ousts Coder for Being Young

Steven Raymond stever at woo-hoo.com
Sun Mar 31 06:57:29 UTC 2002

On 2002.03.30 21:59 Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Well! It's about time that age discrimination affected those younger
> than
> 40. :-)
>
> Rich

Oh- you are SO wrong for implying that ageism is always bad for "older"
folk (with all due respect, of course ;) )

I graduated from college in '93.  At every job I have had since then,
older folks with more "experience" had in some cases 50% (yes, that's
FIFTY PERCENT) more pay for the SAME DUTIES and WORKLOAD as the more
junior (me) techs pulling work from the SAME pile.

Perhaps it has just been my bad luck, but so far I have not been in an
job environment where actual individual output and performance was
gauged or rewarded at anywhere near the extent as career length is
regarded.  I'm talking about indiviudal rubber-meets-the-road daily
productivity & knowledge base here.

It would be understandable, of course, if the "veterans" were in some
sort of mentoring or even lead tech position and in some way leading
the junior techs with accumulated experience.  But the fact of the
matter is, the junior techs (read: not yet burned out) are usually far
in the lead in terms of knowledge base about current technologies due
to self-study, vendor training, and simple curiosity/yearning to learn.

Not to mention the fact that everyone who seemed to begin their career
prior to 1990 is looking forward to a pension of some sort.  Sure,
nowadays we are offered 401k with (if lucky) some miniscule matching
company contributions.  But with the market tanking this hard who has
the guts to throw more good money in after bad?

But nevermind me.  I am sure that everyone gets the shaft no matter how
you look at it.  I pipe up only because in response to Rich's comment
above, in my experience have not seen any discrimination because
someone was "too old".