[PLUG] Installing postfix broke X -- really!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 1 13:05:28 UTC 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> My hunch is that your hostname changed, which would invalidate your X
> cookies. Did you swap ethernet interfaces or otherwise diddle with
> your hostname?

  BINGO! We have a winner!

  Postfix would not install because the hostname was 'salmo' and the MTA
insisted on a FQDN. I read the hostname man page and figured out how to
change it so I could install postfix (a step not mentioned in either the FAQ
or the HOWTO). I completely forgot about this.

  This just goes to show how little I *really* understand about X. I'll be
at tomorrow's meeting to try to dent that ignorance a bit more.

Many thanks for the insight, Paul,