[PLUG] force dhcpcd to set hostname and domainname

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Wed May 1 16:10:16 UTC 2002

> Subject: [PLUG] force dhcpcd to set hostname and domainname
>

> I'd like to have dhcpcd automagically set the hostname and
> domainname for
> my rh7.2 laptop to the value supplied by the dhcp server. I see in the
> fine manual that dhcpcd can be asked to do this w/ the -D and
> -H switches.
> Any idea where I can use those switches, as dhcpcd is
> probably be starting
> from somewhere in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts?
> -Dan Young

What's your configuration of your network in terms of laptop versus the DHCP
server? In order to get your laptop's hostname assigned, you'll probably
need your laptop's MAC address and you'll need to add that to the
configuration files on the DHCP server. Someone else on the list may be able
to help you with the specifics of setting up the files for.

Getting the default domain name set is pretty trivial. I think there's a
config file in /etc/ for it. Others on the list can help out here -- it's
been many moons since I set this up.

--
WEL