[PLUG] ipchains question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 1 18:30:18 UTC 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Keith Nasman wrote:

> I think you would need to put caddis in the hosts file so that you could
> reference it by name in your firewall scripts and have it resolve. Or, you
> might just have to hardcode caddis' IP in your rules.

Keith,

  /etc/hosts on all three boxes has all the hostnames. I find no hostname
references in the floppyfw files, that's why I asked.

> Since you are using a different host then you are going to be
> portforwarding the packets on port 80 to port 80 on caddis.

  You've confused me here. I have three boxes connected to the switch (plus
a couple of portables that are not always wired in). The three boxes are
'router1', 'salmo' and 'caddis'. AFAIK, the latter two are equivalant when
seen from the firewall/router. Port forwarding occurs on router1 between the
two NICs and is mediated by floppyfw. No?

Thanks,