[PLUG] Print Server

Andrew Puch aapuch at attbi.com
Thu May 2 19:09:51 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 11:21, Michael Boynay wrote:
> I work for a small company that uses a cluster of windows boxes. We have 3
> printers that we want to share from one box.  We want to start integrating
> Linux into our network for an application server, floppy-fw, and web server.
>
> I wanted to know if anyone could recommend or give insight on what could be
> done to set up a print server on a Linux box.  I also need to understand the
> hardware portion of running 3 printers off one box as well.  Is there some
> interface that would connect all three together?

1. Well look at the printers .

If the printers are nice postscript printers, life is good.
There for any old box will do, with 3 lpr ports.

If the printers are kind of dumb, then the cpu will do the rendering of
the page via ghost script, gnu postscript.

I have seen that that one in a while , that ghostscript fails to print
pages on my Apollo printer, cheap HP Deskjet re branded

If it were me I would look in to the new samba.

New samba can be used as NT 4.0 PDC.

Also one can use PAM, Pluggable Authentication  Modules, to have the NT
PDC allow you to login to a linux box.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/modules.html
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#PAM

Sick but cool.