[PLUG] Print Server

D. Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Thu May 2 21:34:28 UTC 2002

> What models of printers do you have working with CUPS?

There are three drivers, or "modules" included free with CUPS: a generic printer, an HP Laserjet, and an Epson.

Does it still use ghostscript on the back end?

Check this out (with CUPS):

lp -Pmyprinter document.ps

It automatically detects it as a Postscript document, "plugs in" the correct filter, and prints it correctly! It works!

 I have three printers in my house, and at
> least 4 or 5 machines to printer from, and I've gotten pretty irritated
> with the existing RedHat gimp-print stuff.  I'd like to have all the
> "processing" of the printing offloaded to the actual print SERVER, rather
> than done on each of the clients.  Figuring out what has gone wrong when
> something won't print is making me pull my hair out.

Yep.

Cooper Stevenson        |cooper.stevenson at wahchang.com
UNIX Administrator      |PH: (541)791-1322
Telledyne Wah Chang     |FAX: (541)924-6895